Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Christmas tradition

Last year, we started the Christmas tradition of making homemade gingerbread houses from scratch. Though it wasn't the same without Annie and Phillip and the Kelly's, we really got into the art of creating something that was too pretty to eat.


It all started with very sticky and messy dough. The trick is to use lots of flour. Will made the mathmatically correct cut-outs and I rolled, cut and baked. We used egg whites and powdered sugar for "glue." If you want the gingerbread recipe, go to http://www.allrecipes.com/ and search for gingerbread house. Though, I would increase the amount of flour by at least a cup.



The parents, brother and sister-in-law and Will's mission buddy's family came. Keith and Alyssa got the award for "most cooperative," Dad got the award for "heaviest" (could he pile anything else on that thing?) and I gave Will and I the award for BEST OVERALL!


Posing with a half-finished masterpiece.

Of course, we stayed up for 2 more hours perfecting it. Grant waits for the day when we'll actually let him eat it.

1 comment:

The Schmutz Family said...

Nice gingerbread houses. I love all the pictures of your family. I just LOVE your whole family and can't wait to see everyone in July!