I have never posted about my experience at Anasazi Foundation: The Making of a Walking. Anasazi is a well-known wilderness program for teens who struggle with addictions, behavioral and academic issues, and family relationships. As a way of introduction, the sign above the door of the building reads: Inside each child lies a Seed of Greatness. Anasazi built their philosophy around helping the hearts of the children return to their parents. They do not believe in labels. So, family therapists are called Shadows. “Clients” are Young Walkers. The staff that walk with them are Trail Walkers. There are no hopeless families, “bad” or “sick” kids… just people who have not yet awakened to the gifts and the paths of the Creator.
Years ago, I walked the trail with these young walkers and fell in love with the Anasazi Way. It taught me to look to the Creator in all things and to be grateful for the ground beneath me and the sky above. It was there that I felt the desire to someday become a therapist, in order to not just help individuals, but families... the eternal unit that brings us the highest degree of joy in this life and the next. I worked a several seasons from 2001 to 2004 and just this summer I returned as a Shadow. I had an incredible experience working with amazing families. I saw the miracles take place as they learned to see one another as the Creator sees them. Though the schedule was crazy and the Tuesday treks to the trail were usually 18-hour days, I loved being back in the wilderness, where I felt at home.
1 comment:
that's so cool April, I always knew you were a tough chick : )
Post a Comment